Friday, April 24, 2009

Sort of a life-changing decision...

I've been quiet here as Russ and I have been working on the details of a very exciting new (life-changing) project...


It's called The Path Less Pedaled... and it's a project to find people around the world who are living their lives in a less ordinary sort of way... and tell their stories.

Independent artisans and makers, small business proprietors, community activists... I think they're evidence of a more connected, more sustainable economic model. And I'm eager to start asking the question: What does it mean to be an independent business that's small by choice?

It's also a pedal-powered project (i.e. really long bike tour) that entails leaving behind all of the structure we have now, and all of our stuff. A huge change that I am really ready for... even as I am nervous about what it means and whether I'll actually like it the way I think I will.

The big, elephant-in-the-room question, of course, is what does this mean for my jewelry? Honestly, I don't know... except that I’m absolutely not giving it up. Can I take my operation on the road somehow? Pare my tools down to a "portable studio"? This is what I'll be figuring out over the next several weeks.

Right now, we have piles of books and dishes and clothes and DVDs to part with. Russ made a great video that's up on the new site about this whole need to jettison our stuff. If anyone's done this before, feel free to share. Although, I have a feeling that I'm forging a new path... and that's exactly what I'm looking for right now.

1 comment:

dogwood said...

Sounds exciting! Good luck!