Monday, February 18, 2008

Piecing it together

After the soldering and the filing and the sanding... after drilling holes and adding the patina... I finally get to sit down for the really fun part... adding in the natural materials.

It's sort of controlled chaos. I start with big piles of leaves and twigs and whatever it is that I want to incorporate. And I slowly start breaking the big pieces into littler, more usable pieces... which I can then start piecing into the pendant, in my own sort of collage style.


When they're all pieced together and I'm happy with the way they look, I'll let them sit for several hours, until the glue dries, before adding the shellac and sealing everything in place. Then there'll be just a few final touches before they're done and ready to be worn.

No comments: