Thursday, March 6, 2008

Decision 2008


As I've mentioned, I'm working on pulling together a catalog of my work. It's an interesting process, and I'm amused by what it's causing me to think about. (Somehow I had this romantic notion that it would just fall together.)

One of the biggest decisions that I have to make is which pieces I want to include. And it turns out that it's no simple feat to look at what I've already made and try to make an objective choice about which ones I think might attract a wholesale buyer - and then figure out what I need to create to fill in the gaps.

In some ways, I'm glad that I'm having to think so hard about putting this together. I think it'll help ensure that I turn out a product that I'm happy with and that illustrates who I am and where I want to go with my work.

But I also feel oddly guilty about some of the pieces I have chosen to NOT include. As if they're living breathing creatures that will have their feelings hurt.

I wonder if fashion designers face similar decisions.

I wonder if it'll be any easier to choose pieces when I get around to making a second catalog.

I wonder if, maybe, I'm just thinking way too much about this process.

So, to keep myself from dawdling too much longer, I decided on a deadline of March 16 to have all pieces chosen (and created if I need to create new work).

Whew.

No comments: