Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On orbiting...

I'm discovering, with all the muck I'm wading through at my day job, that my creative brain goes into serious hibernation when I'm under a lot of stress. And the only daydreams that pass through my consciousness are ones involving long, escapist bike tours (Salt Lake City to San Luis Obispo, via Jackson Hole, Montana, Portland, the Bay Area, and Big Sur, for example). So, I'm not getting done any of the work that I would like to, and I'm feeling a bit guilty about it.

Last night, I went trawling through my book shelf, looking for something to read. And I stumbled upon a book that was gifted to me years ago... Orbiting the Giant Hairball, by Gordon MacKenzie. If corporate bureaucracy is a swirling mess of a hairball, keeping your sanity is the act of orbiting - drawing from the energy of the hairball without getting sucked into it. I think I'm going to work on my own orbiting skills. And maybe stop getting sucked into the muck and help my creative brain to start functioning again.

In the meantime, I have a new guest post up on Epicurean Cyclist, about wool sweaters.

No comments: